Thursday, May 13, 2010

fabric bookmarks (no sewing required!)



Yep, another bookmark post. I really do like to read. I first saw the idea for these here. I made some and really liked how they turned out and have since given a few for gifts. My process was slightly different, so I thought I would give a little tutorial. Super easy and pretty quick, too!

No-Sew Fabric Bookmarks

Supplies needed:
Fabric scraps
Xyron sticker maker or spray adhesive
cardstock
Fray Check (or something similar)
hole punch (optional)
ribbon (optional)

*Note: If you don't have a Xyron, the spray adhesive works every bit as well, it's just a little bit messier. I would recommend putting your cardstock in a big box before spraying the adhesive.

First, cut a piece of cardstock to whatever size you want your bookmark to be (I made mine 2-1/4" by 6-1/2"). I wanted a set of 3, so I just made them all at the same time. Run the cardstock through your Xyron OR spray one side of it with adhesive. Stick the bookmark to the wrong side of your fabric.


Trim around the cardstock.


Put adhesive on the other side of the cardstock. If you are using a Xyron, make sure to stick the bookmark in fabric side up so the adhesive is on the correct side.


Now adhere this to the wrong side of your fabric. I used the same fabric on both sides of my bookmark, but you could use different fabric if you want. Trim off the excess fabric.


Once the fabric is adhered to the cardstock, and you've trimmed off the excess fabric, I recommend using Fray Check (or something similar)on the edges to prevent the fabric from fraying. FYI, I found Fray Check in the sewing department of Wal-Mart. Just apply a small amount and let it dry.



You can leave the bookmarks as they are, or you can punch a hole in the top and add some ribbon. I packaged 3 together and gave them as gifts. Here are some I have made:




1 comment:

Jessica Downey said...

I saw your comment about photography on Becky Higgins' blog, and just wanted to let you know that I'll be in Utah this summer for travel sessions, in case you're interested! See my blog for more details...



http://sierrastudiosphotography.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...